What you like to wear daily is a great place to start when planning for your headshot session.
Keep in mind that it is always better to have more outfit options than you think you need. Once you arrive, I’ll help you select the best options to photograph from the pieces you brought with you.
If you are coming for a corporate headshot session, I encourage you to wear a look that matches your company’s brand guidelines. Also, make sure to bring some layers so we can photograph both a casual and business look.
For instance, women can bring a cardigan or a jacket with a silk scarf. Men can bring a coat and a tie. This way, we can photograph different combinations and have options to select from. Even switching a small piece of jewelry can make a significant impact on the final look of an outfit.
What to wear for headshots
Here are some more tips for what to wear for your professional headshots:
- Select outfits that are classic and won’t make your headshots look outdated in a few months.
- Wear something tailored to preserve the overall look of the outfit.
- Wear a color that is contrasting and flattering to your skin tone. Darker colors tend to put more emphasis on your face and eyes, which is perfect for headshots.
- Muted tones work best. When in doubt, wear black or grey. Or, if you have a color, you feel great in, wear your favorite color. Make sure you select colors that complement your skin tone as well as your brand.
- The focus of a headshot is your face. Avoid bold prints, bold plaids, and patterns like floral prints, checkers, polka dots, and stripes. These patterns can detract from your face and make your headshot photo look too busy.
- If wearing a necklace or earrings, go with something simple that doesn’t pull attention away from your face.
- Choose outfits with clean necklines and sleeves.
- Tailored clothing is more flattering to your figure. Clothing that is too tight or too baggy helps you look slender.
- Bring ironed clothing on hangers and make sure they are wrinkle-free because strobe lights can make wrinkles look more accentuated.
Here a bonus tip to make sure you have a successful headshot session:
If you like bright, bold colors and patterns, and/or they match the look and feel of your brand, then go for it. Always wear a look that matches the image you’re trying to convey with your headshots.